Wednesday, February 12, 2014
RootsTech and Ireland Records
Last weekend I went to the RootsTech genealogy conference in Salt Lake. It was so much fun! I learned lots of new things, but there is one I wanted to share with all of you. I went to a class taught by find my past which is a website that works a lot like ancestry.com, but it focuses on records in the British Isles including Ireland. The class they taught was about finding records in Ireland. I always try to learn everything I can about Ireland in hopes that one day it will help me figure out our Gurley line and who Thomas' parents might be and especially what Jane's maiden name might be. Anyway, in the class the teacher started talking a little about Donegal, the county that our ancestors came from. Of course I listened very carefully to what he was saying. He then said something that broke my heart. He said that he didn't understand why anyone would want to live there. It is beautiful country, but it rains so much that it is miserable. He then said that not many records survived because of the humidity and moisture. Everything rotted or molded and didn't survive. Wow. I am now trying to figure out what to do next. Cross your fingers that sometime, somewhere, we will be able to figure this all out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment