Grandpa George Bennett was the father of Rebecca Bennett who married William Confar. They daughter was Alice Confer who married Edward Hartshorn. Their son was David Hartshorn who married grandma Vera Hurlbut. Does that make sense? So...we don't have much information on Grandpa Bennett or his wife Prudence Kime. We know that he lived in Burnside, Clearfield, Pennsylvania at one point, but that is about it. He is listed on a census record as being born in Pennsylvania. But that is about all! We didn't know when he was born, where he died or when. After talking to a distant cousin, he told me that a family story that had been passed down suggested that he moved to Iowa and lived with one of his daughters. Well, only two of his daughters lived in Iowa. One was a daughter named Anna Belle and the other was our grandma, Rebecca. Rebecca is buried in the Bellefountain cemetery in Mahaska County, Iowa. So I took a chance and searched for her father in the cemetery and luck was on my side! Here is a link to what I found:
Iowa Graves Project
After I found him in the Iowa WPA Graves Project, I thought I would see if he was on Find A Grave. Sure enough, I found him! Here is a link to his grave:
Find a Grave Memorial for George Bennett
So...slowly but surely we are uncovering a big mystery. I have a lady at the Historical Society in Mahaska county doing some research for me to see what she can uncover about George while he was in Iowa. Cross your fingers that she finds his Will! She is also searching to see what she can find on the Confer's and Hartshorn's who were also in the area at that time.
No comments:
Post a Comment