
This was the first record I could find that I thought might be the right Gurley family. I was still not sure because Marie was listed as Mariah, but everything else fit perfectly! They lived in the right area, the father's name was Thomas Gurley and they had a daughter who could be Marie born in the right year. I was so nervous to declare this as the right family for the longest time. After much prayer and thoughts, I finally decided to continue on with this family as the right one. Back in those days the census records were done with the census worker writing the information as the family told the them the information. Nothing was verified and many time names were written as they were 'heard' rather than how they were really spelled. So, I have determined this is the right family. After deciding this and finding other documents, I am about 99% sure this them! There were no other Gurley's living in the area at that time. So...now I had Marie as a child with her parents as Thomas and Jane Gurley! So exciting! The census record also lists 4 other children. Thomas, James, Margaret, Susanna and of course Marie as Mariah. There is also an 1860 census that shows Marie as Maria which is closer to the right name, but the record is very hard to read.
No comments:
Post a Comment