I have been trying to save a 1880 census that shows the family of James and Marie Hurlbut. I find it, but when I click on it it is the wrong picture! Crazy!!! Anyway, I wanted to share with everyone what I found about James Hurlbut. Our great grandfather! Here is what is on the census:
James I. Hurlbut age 53 - Head
M. Hurlbut age 43 - Wife
Frank Hurlbut age 26 - Son
M Jane Hurlbut age 13 - Daughter
L M Hurlbut age 8 - Daughter
Almila Lewis age 84 - Widowed
Margaret Gurley - 46 - Single
Crazy that there were two people that wasn't their immediate family. So...I tried to figure out who Almila Lewis is. It took me awhile, but I finally figured it out! I wondered if it was James' mother, but she had a different last name. So I decided to research it out. Here is what I finally found out....Almila is actually spelled Almira. She was actually James' mother! James' father died and she remarried making her last name Lewis. Her second husband died and that was why she was living with James and his family. Also, I figured out that the I. for James middle name was Isaac. I found out that Almira was James' mother by finding her marriage information for her second marriage which listed her name at that time as Almira Hurlbut. So, I went further and finally found the family on www.rootsweb.com. Almira's maiden name was Jennings. James father is Henry Hurlbut. Yay! I found the rest of their children as well. They had James listed among the family as Isaac Hurlbut so it was kind of difficult to find before. When I entered all the new family information into Family Search so I could do all the temple work. When I did that, I found that it was already all in the system but they didn't have James listed as one of the children. So...I added James as a child and had him sealed to his parents. Everything else was already done. The Hurlbut line goes back 1640 in Connecticut. If you want to see it....go to www.familysearch.org and you will be able to see it all! I was excited to find all that. It looks like the Hurlbut line was one of the first families in the United States. I can't wait to try and see what I can find on them!!
Edited 5/29/2013
I found the 1880 census record! Here it is:

After a little searching I realized that some of the information in Family Search on the Hurlbut family is a little crazy and wrong. I am going to try and spend this next week fixing it! The Hurlbut line actually goes back to 1610 with the first Hurlbut to set foot in America. He came in 1635 and it's a great story. Stay tuned and I will post the story!
ReplyDelete