Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Our Wonderful Confer Ancestors

Did you wonder if I had forgot to put anything on here?  I have uncovered some fun information and hopefully I can share it all with you!  So... Alice Confer, my 3rd great grandmother, was the daughter of William Confar and Rebecca Bennett.  When Rebecca died in 1872 many of the other children were still pretty young.  Alice was the oldest child and married to Edward Hartshorn with their own family and living in Iowa.  In fact, Alice died only a few years after her mother died.  Alice's father, William, took several members of his family and moved to Missouri.  In the 1880 Census you find William married to an Eliza living Cass County, Missouri.  I haven't been able to determine if he married Eliza in Iowa before he left or if he married her in Missouri.  Some websites have Eliza listed as Eliza Tilletson and marrying William in 1874, but I have been unable to prove this bit of information.  Still searching!  Many of William's children married in Missouri and started families of their own.  By 1885 we find William and his son Louis living Archuleta County, Colorado.  I don't know for sure when he came to Colorado, or why, but in the 1885 Colorado Census he is living in a house with another man and his son Louis.  Some of the other children also came with their families to Colorado a little later and settled there.  William died in September of 1890 in Chromo, Archuleta County, Colorado.  By this time he had a homestead where he was living with a new wife, Nancy Webb, whom he had married just a few months before his death.  By law, much of his estate was left to his widow, Nancy, and the rest divided between his sons.  Well, his children, particularly Louis, was not happy with what Nancy inherited and decided to fight for it in court.  There are several court documents pertaining to this fight.  Here is a link to some of what was going on:  Confar vs. Confar .

I don't know any more about Nancy.  The only documentation on her is her marriage to William and the court documents between her and Louis.

About 10 years or so after William's death, many of the children decided to move to California where many of them lived the remainder of their lives.  These are our cousins!

No comments:

Post a Comment