Thursday, June 6, 2013

One brick at a time

I have considered Thomas and Jane Gurley my biggest brick wall in research.  I have been searching for so long for their parents and also Jane's maiden name.  Well, I think I may have taken one brick out of the wall yesterday!  I joined a group on facebook for Londonderry Ireland Research.  That is where Marie Gurley Hurlbut was born in 1836.  So, I posted a little information about her to see if anyone had any ideas on how to find her birth record.  I got the best reply ever!  A lady asked me if her parents were Thomas and Jane Gurley in Bronson, Huron, Ohio.  Of course I answered back with an excited YES!  She then told me that she a transcription of an obituary for Jane Gurley in the Londonderry Sentinel (the local newspaper).  It states that Jane Gurley died in 1868 in Bronson, Huron, Ohio and that her husband was Thomas Gurley of Ardnamoghill, County Donegal! So, after many years of research, we now know exactly where Thomas was from!  Yay!  The lady that posted the message to me actually lives there!  She says she has a lot going on this month, but next month she will see if she can make a copy of the obituary for me and also do some research to see if she can find anything else on the family!  I am so excited!!  Cross your fingers that she finds something wonderful for us!

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome. It's exciting to see all the fun stuff. I am not good at finding things but will keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jean! I always get so excited every time I find something new. I have found a James Gourley living in the same small place in Ireland around the same time that would be either Thomas' father or brother. I hope to find out! Records are so rare in Ireland. I want to take a trip there sometime soon. It would be so fun to have you, any of your daughters and any of my sisters go together! We could count that as a family reunion. :)

    ReplyDelete