Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Hurlbut Genealogy

A few months ago I came across a genealogy of the Hurlbut's in the United States. I was so excited! Here is a link to the book. I found it on books.google.com. HURLBUT GENEALOGY This link should bring you to the page that shows our grandfather, James Isaac Hurlbut. The first thing you should notice is that it lists his wife as Caroline Carter! I was a bit taken back by this until I remembered a key piece of information. In the 1880 census, James and Marie had a child living with them by the name of Frank. This was James' son from his first marriage and was the well known half brother to our grandmother Vera and her sister Margaret! So this took me on a search for the marriage between James and Caroline. The only thing I could find was a 1860 census where they were living together in Norwalk, Ohio and had four children. There names were Kate, Antoinette, Frank and Caroline. So....Frank had three sisters! I have yet to figure out what happened to Caroline and the daughters. I am trying to determine if they divorced and the girls stayed with their mother while Frank stayed with his father. Or if Caroline died and the girls went to live with relatives. This is still a research problem I haven't solved yet. I am attaching a copy of the 1860 census. Also, James and grandmother Marie were married in 1865, so something happened in those 5 years. I can't wait to find out what that would be!


 



No comments:

Post a Comment